Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Definition of Insanity ...

I love Tuesdays - they're usually the only day truly to myself without running around (well, generally)  and so I get a lot of work done on things that are close to my heart! My passions!  So understandably, I want to maximize the time in my day!


When I come home from dropping the kids off, I like to come home to a clean kitchen with maybe a load of washing that has just finished so that all I have to do is hang it out and then I can focus on me for a bit. Or I may even skip the coming home, and instead take a "free pass" and go out and about all day doing what I need to for me (usually NOT shopping - unless it's for books!) 


However - in anticipation of the whole school day ahead of me (free of children that is!) - I tend to get a little greedy and try to cram too many of the household jobs in before school while trying to convince Mini-Master-of-the-House to get dressed, and Little Miss Princess-in-the-Middle to eat, while the Ring Leader of the pack is watching the clock and giving a running commentary on how long until we have to be out the door, while tapping her foot, and micro-managing her siblings! 


My love for that clean kitchen feeling is so great that I tend to only leave myself 10 minutes to have a shower, get dressed and - with a lick of "icing" on the face - out the door! 


Inevitably - we're late, blood-pressure is high - especially in eldest as she is concerned that she is not there early to catch up with her friends and get in a lot of chatter before the quiet of class time - and guilt factor is high - ALL because of my love for the clean kitchen! 


I say all of this because today I realized that I have been doing this school routine for 7 years now - one would think it would have dawned on me a little earlier - I do the SAME thing everyday - just one extra little job!! I promise!! - before walking out the door, and each day I continue to screech into the school grounds at the last possible minute, and promise myself that I won't do it tomorrow! 


Then the light bulb came on - it's a matter of priorities - and obviously my clean kitchen is higher on the list than getting the children to school calm, and on time - or even early! Gasp! 


My reflection brought to mind the saying "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing every day and expecting a different result!"


Clearly my priorities are around the wrong way - I definitely don't enjoy the daily adrenaline rush of being late! -  so I need to restrain myself tomorrow morning from cleaning up as I go, in the effort to get out the door faster! So it got me thinking.....




Are your priorities in order? 


I'd love to hear your stories! Don't be shy! 

2 comments:

  1. I don't have this problem, YET! I'm waiting for this to happen to me, and it will come as a huge shock I would say, as I am so eager to always be on time!! And am always early! P.S I was on here last night waiting for Tuesday's blog and was so excited to see it here first thing this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah!
    Thanks for your comment! Maybe you have the opposite "problem to me" and instead of it being a problem - you'll get lots of reading time while waiting to take your children in! haha! I'm so glad that you're eagerly awaiting my posts! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message! I really love hearing about you and your experiences!